Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Long Walk Home

A half term week away from work is always very tempting when enjoying the art of random. The skydive is booked and ready for this Thursday (weather permitting!) so all that was left was to find something to do at the start of the week...

As an extension of the random events in the Purple Book I went one step further and created 'The Trials'. These would be challenges in the sense that they would challenge me in ways I would not normally be comfortable with. When writing events in the good book I would smile in the fact I knew I would enjoy doing the vast majority of them, the trials, however, would be a test, something I wouldn't enjoy but would look back on with a smile As I would have accomplished something epic. This week would see me take on number 6 on the list of Trials: - Do a marathon in a day - 26 miles on foot.




















The challenge was set, first task was to finda location 26 miles from home so I could catch a train or a lift to said place then walk home. Thanks to a chance encounter where possible locations were discovered, I had a shortlist: - Oxford, Aylesbury, Hungerford, Windsor, Virginia Water and Alton. I went with Alton as it seemed the most random. on the planned day it also gave the promise of a famers market and a steam train service by the name of 'The Watercress Express'. This was turning into more than just the 26 mile walk I had originally thought up, as with most things if you seek a path of random you will experience so much more than you originally planned.
















After a minor cockup with the trains I eventually got to Alton. Being a random challenge I of course left planning to the last minute. I had no idea how to get to Alton so went the scenic route from Reading to Guildford, then over to Woking then eventually to Alton. I'd planned to get to Alton early, have a look around the market, a quick look at the Watercress Express then the walk home before it got dark. What really happened is that I got to Alton, saw a really small man on the platform dressed as a Wizard and then just had to ride the Steam train. For all you train lovers out there, The Watercress Express is run on a line between Alton and Alresford with two stations in between. It is lovingly run by volunteers and has the comfiest train seats you'll ever sit in. It was also Wizards and Witches week which explained the hobbit in the Harry Potter gear.
I got off at Alresford, 10 miles from Alton and time was starting to move. I started the main part of the walk at 2:50 which is bad news if you doing it in the Autumn. I had no idea where i'd have to walk to reach 26 miles or where I'd get the train home. The 18 mile sign to Basingstoke was a good marker as I knew I could make up the rest of the mileage else were. I did 6 1/2 miles (1/4 of the planned distance) in about an hour, it was still light so naturally I thought it would be very easy...




From the bits I could see when it was light, the area around Alresford is a really nice place. There were some lovingly random momnets like the hidden gateway leading to a seat made out of a log looking over a lake and an old abandoned bus shelter. Loving the Love Shack :)
3 miles or so after the Love shack is when I had to grit my teeth and just go for it. It was getting dark quite quickly and I was starting to ache all over. The last thing you want to see at a time like this is a sign telling you you not as far along as you'd thought and hoped you were. 4 miles from Basingstoke it was pitch black, I was still on a long country road and I was out of it. At that moment, I had a text from the very person who had found me my starting location. It's moments like that that give you energy and keep you going and situations like that which test you and teach you things about yourself.
The rest of the journey after that was all about little victories. The sign for Basingstoke was a huge little victory for me as it kept me going until I reached the station. The station wasa good 2 miles walk from the sign at least so I'd consoled myself I'd walked at least 21 miles for the day. The highlight had to be seeing the magical red logo for the station. The two statues of the guys holding some sort of pole outside the station was a nice touch ;)
I felt slightly short changed by my distances so decided to walk home from Reading station. With everthing added up I'm hoping I did at least 24 miles overall. Not the 26 miles i'd originally hoped for but the fact I had a stking cold and had left everything way too late was consolation enough. Anyone reading this may question why i'd ever dream of doing something so pointless. I'd raised no money, broken no records and lost the feeling in just about every southerly joint becasue of it. The point of it is that there is no point. Everything I do in the Purple Book stems from a fascination of discovering new things. In that one day I had seen a very small man in a wizards outfit, travelled on a steam train, discovered the currency used in Swaziland thanks to getting a dodgy pound coin from the station machine (they be using the Lilangeni down in Swaziland) and more importantly discovered something about myself. With no training I had walked 24+ miles in a single day. The next time i'll be doing that will be in a decorative 34D bra in aid of Breast Cancer awareness May of next year. All in the act of random with the addedd bonus of raising some dosh for charideee. It's the jump tomorrow, wish me and the others luck :)
Rossifer
x

0 comments: