Saturday, March 19, 2011

Back on track

January saw a fantastic start to the year, February brought everything to an abrupt halt and now March has well and truly turned things around. After the swim on the first day of this year 2011 had the potential of being the best yet, the virus I had mid February soon had the danger of making it the worst of the Purple Book years. The 3 weeks of the illness which made has made me the sickest i've been since birth and the subsequent days trying to recover have had a huge impact on the way i've chosen to live my life. As well as the cancellation of my firewalk and a couple of social gatherings, my stone loss in weight as guaranteed a non appearance in both the half and full marathon for this year.


Negatives over, thanks to a group of lovely people at work bringing me daily food goodies and my own lovely two at home, the weight is going back on and the postimism is coming back. As well as that, the calendar brings with it a fantastic line up of events. For starters, the chance to watch an NBA game live, here in England. Still feeling rough, this would be one event I would not be denied. Watching the Nets playing the Raptors has well and truly re-sparked my love for the divine game. Next would be a trip to the theatre to watch the beautifully made War horse, not before having the best Thai food I've ever had. While both of these were fantastic, neither truly counted as one of my 'one cool thing a month' activities that I'd promised myself in January as it's all about participation. On the 24th I'd be walking over fire but first, I'd be driving my dream car.

Weirdly enough I have no fear (at the moment) at the thought of walking over red hot coals, but had a huge fear of getting behind the wheel of an Aston Martin DB9. I'd had the drive around in a Chrylser with 5 other guys to see the layout of the track. I knew nothing about racing lines and apex's so tried to remember everything being said. After the formalities, my name was called out. i was surrounded by Audis, Lambourgines, Ferrari's and the like but there was only one I was interested in and I was about to drive it. Getting behind the wheel, despite the über relxed instructor, I was starting to brick it. One thought came into my mind "don't you dare do anything to harm this beautiful car!". It was the first automatic car I'd ever been in, with the flappy panel gearbox I'd heard Jeremy Clarkson mention so often on Top Gear. I've got to say, without a shred of ego, it's the easiest car I've ever driven. Your left foot remains a passenger throughout, the right one needs only to brake and go faster, the gear changes are done by the finger tips and are effortless. The first lap feels surreal, I have no idea how fast I'm going but would imagine a milk float would have a fair chance of beating me to the corners. Being in a car designed to go fast, everything feels effortless. The 70+ mph I'd been doing in Mavis on the way up on the Motorway felt like I was going somewhere fast, the sense of speed is so much more in a small car. In a weird way I suddenly felt infinitely grateful to be working class and not made of money. I couldn't help thinking owners of cars like this could become blasé at such epic life moments. I'd be driving home in a Vauxhall Corsa which made those laps all the more special. In a similar way to my perfect day when I got to fly a chopper, it was being taken for a ride, not the actual driving / flying myself that was the highlight of the day.

After driving the Aston and having the picture taken it was the turn of the hot lap. The mate i'd promised the Subaru ride to was away on holiday so i'd be taking it myself. 2 laps of the track as a passenger with the Scooby being driven by a professional. I was in the back, joined by a couple. I was expecting to be driven expertly at speed, getting out at the end with a nice glow. What we got was an exhibition in skilled madness. The guy driving threw us around like he had 5 minutes to live and wanted to go out in style, he was damn good! Part of the makeshift track which is at an abandoned MOD site has a makeshift chicane made of cones which looks like a dead end until you reach them where there is a small gap. I had crawled up to this in 3rd gear in the Aston, the guy driving us decided he'd go at it in 5th, the skill of the dude was something to behold. For the spectators it was easy to see who had experienced what. The drivers came out with an air of smugness and quiet satisfaction, the passengers had one of two expressions; stunned disbelief or laughter! The woman sat in front of me had the first but me and her husband couldn't stop laughing. After taking the last of my photos after the ride I saw another couple with the same expression as mine. I knew exactly what they'd just been doing, they didn't stop laughing even once they'd walked back to their car.

With any luck luck in a few weeks I'll be back to full health (well full health for me anyway) and everything that was bad before will be nothing but a memory, one swiftly deleted. As long as the walk goes ahead OK this Thursday I'll be back on track on the averages, one cool thing a month minimum. With the half and full marathon out the window I'll be looking for everything else the Purple book has to offer.

All suggestions welcome as ever, answers on a postcard please :)

Rossifer x

0 comments: